Wylam Wharf was built between in the late 18th Century and was extended in 1820. It consisted of two main buildings built of rubble stone. The building was originally owned by Thomas French, but was then bought by the shipping company Rose Line Limited.
The remaining building fell into disrepair in 1986 and was restored in 1995. It is one of only 2 warehouses surviving in
what was formerly a densely occupied commercial quayside area.
The building has had a variety of owners, but is now the headquarters of Tombola, the world’s leading online bingo provider.
What we did
The conversion works were carefully carried out by Kennek under the constraints imposed by the listed building status acquired by Wylam Wharf in 1978.
The result is a glorious mix of old and new, where original oak beams are counterbalanced with coloured textured walls and ceilings, with cutting edge communication and systems development infrastructure carefully implemented into the building’s heart while retaining the original architectural features of the Wharf.